Archeologiche - Emergenze
Architettoniche - Emergenze
agliano Aterno was probably a pagus (or
boedinus) or Vicus of the Peligni Superequani in ancient times as the
inscriptions found in the countryside of "Citarella and Dragoni" suggest. They
are now walled into the external facade of the cemetary church of St. John the Baptist. In
the above-mentioned countrysides, just as in the locality of "Piedicretino" as
well as the mentioned tombstones, the following were found: remains of ancient
walls; road pavings; small bronze statues; cinerary urns; coins; oil lamps;
fragments of tile and ceramics; small zig-zag patterned paving bricks and other
objects such as a bronze mortar and a sepulchral urn of the Church of the Cemetary of St.
John. The same De Nino found another underground tunnel with earthenware floors covered
with tiles (aqueduct?), numerous earthenware objects and fragments of ivory handcrafted
at "San Biagio".
Between 569 and 774, during the Longobard
rule, Gagliano was part of the duchy of Spoleto.
In 1000 Odorisio I, Count of Valva lives in the palatium of Gagliano.
In 108, 11 people of the Castle of Gagliano, who were co-proprietors between the years
1080 and 1090, gave Farfa their share of property in S. Giovanni in Vennari, in exchange
for part of the Church of S. Benedetto in Gagliano which was given to Farfa by Count
Teodino several years previously.
In 1178, the estate of Gagliano becomes part of the County of Celano. The lord of the
Oddone County and ruler was Guglielmo II, the Norman, the last king of this noble family
In1212, Count Peter who was accustomed to long periods of rest in the castle of Gagliano,
dies of "languore correptus" and the estate is inherited by Count Riccardo, of
the same family line of the Berardi Counts of Celano.
In 1216 St. Francis of Assisi was guest at the Castle of Gagliano. During that time the
castle which was constructed by De Aquila existed as a large palace- fortress as
best fit for the headquaters of a feudatory. In the same year, at the death of Emperor
Federico, Pope Innocense IV invests a descendent of Count Peter of Celano, Ruggero, known
as Ruggerone, as ruler of the County and Estate of Gagliano.
In 1266 the feudatory of Gagliano and Count of Celano is Nicoḷ I, the successor of Count
In 1273 the well-known teacher of theology and philosophy, Brother Andrew is born in
In 1279 the feudatory of the Castle of Gagliano, Adamo di Ausi who was probably the last
french captain following Carlo dAngị. Later the castle returned in possession of a
count of Celano whose name was Nicola.
In 1286 Brother Egidio of Lodi, Bishop of Valva, donates the Church of St. Scolastica in
Baullo et locum Sancti Francisci at Gagliano to the Mother Superior of the S. Chiara. It
was the oratory dedicated to the Saint from Assisi following the miracle of the water
performed by St. Francis here.
In 1294 the lord of the countryside of Gagliano and Count of Celano is Tommaso, the son of
Nicola, who appears among counts and barons al following Celestino V when
the Morronese goes to LAquila to be consecrated as Pope in the Basilica of Santa
Maria di Collemaggio.
In 1322 the Count of Celano and feudatory of Gagliano, is Tommaso, husband of Isabella,
daughter of Matteo Acquaviva and of the Empress D'Arce.
In 1325 with a letter dated the 8th of June, Sancia, Queen of Naples and wife
of King Robert DAngị, asks the Countess of Celano, Isabella
Acquaviva-DAquila to take the monastery of S.Giovanni of Gagliano under her
protection, which was meant to be the property of the Clarisse sisters of Gagliano.
In 1328, as written on an existing stone tablet in the upper loggia, the castle was built,
probably on the remains of a palace-fortress, by Isabella DAquila, Countess of
In 1332 Ruggero II, son of Tommaso, the Count of Celano and of Countess Isabella
Acquaviva-De Aquila, is feudatory of Gagliano.
In 1344 The Fontana della Valle was built at the foot of the castle by order of the same
In 1392 After the death of his rebellious son, Antonio, in the prison of S. Potito, Count
Ruggero who was afflicted with sorrow decided to join the
order of Minor Franciscan Monks. Before entering the Convent of Castelvecchio Subequo,
however, he appointed his son Peter II as his heir. Peter II ordered the extensive
fortress walls to be built around the castle.
In 1414 Nicoḷ is confirmed Count of Celano.
In 1462 the Captain of Ventura, Iacopo Fortebraccio, known as the Piccinino, who was the
son of Fortebraccio of Montone, together with Ruggerotto, the son of Countess Jacovella,
attacks the Castle of Gagliano and on November 25 he takes over it. Jacovella is locked up
in the Castle of Ortucchio but is released soon after.
In 1503 Antonio Piccolomini is reconfirmed as being possessor of the County and of the
Estate of Gagliano by Great Captain Consalvo de Cordova.
In 1591 by an act executed by the notary Pacifici, the Estate of Gagliano and a part of
the property of the County, were given to Carmilla Peretti, the sister of Pope Sisto V, by
Alfonso Piccolomini, without the consent of his wife Costanza,whose name was
In 1616 by request of creditors Luca Di Nardo and Giovanni Antonio Citarella, the Estate
of Gagliano along with three other lots of land were sold for 97,000 ducats to Captain
Domenicantonio De Santis.
In 1626 Domenicantonio De Santis kept the castle for ten years and then sold it to
Pierfrancesco Colonna, the Duke of Zagarolo.
In 1633 the prince of Gallicano, Pompeo Colonna, the son of Pierfrancesco, is
In 1661, Gagliano no longer belongs to the Prince of Gallicano and becomes royal
In 1668, the land of Gagliano belongs to the prnce of Palestrina, Maffeo Barberini.
In 1807, feuds are abolished by napoleonic law. Maffeo Barberinis
successors,who were first thethe sons Urbano and Francesco and later Cornelia and Costanza,
remained obvious possessors of the burgensatici properties in Gagliano
and other property in Abruzzo.
In 1828, following the marriage of the Barberini family into the Sciarra Colonna of Naples,
we find PrinceMaffeo Barberini of Sciarra Colonna lord of Gagliano.This prince is
merited with having requested and obtained in 1828, the body of Saint Fiorenza Martire
exhumed from the cemetery of Saint Callisto in Rome on May 2, 1827, to expose in the
aristocratic chapel of Saint Nicola in the Castel of Gagliano.
In 1890 following an Act of October 30 followed by recognition of the appurtances,
stipulated on June 26 1903 thenoble woman Lazzaroni, wife of Baron Michele Lazzaroni,
became the new proprietor of the castle.